Monday, April 14, 2008

Avenue 18



Shivering me
In the car I was in
Decrepit row of houses outside
Crackling to the call of the treacherous winds
Headlights dimming
For the roar of the malevolent thunder
Had brought them to their near demise
Could I see nothing

But I could hear
The road beneath
No longer its virile self
Brick by brick falling into the abyss
Monolithic red orbs from below
Threatening to sunder the car

It wasn’t too long ago
That I made the turn
A turn into Avenue 17
That led me here
Will there be no tomorrow now

But I did see
Avenue 18
It was just up ahead
Beyond the turn
Bred uncertainty

They who told the story
Of Avenue 18
Some who turned into the avenue
Their souls brandished into the abyss
Getting their comeuppance
Suffering the unimaginable pain
But there were some who made the turn
And escaped the abyss
Transported into a world that they so longed to see
A world where the sun rays will warm their souls
A world of hope

Avenue 18
Take a gamble
A slide on the steering wheel
Was all it would take
Take no consideration
A gamble no longer
For the abyss was about to unleash
To unleash its piece de resistance
And disintegrate everything
Turn into Avenue 18
Or will I not see myself tomorrow

Darkness upon the avenue
The trees along it
This was the time
Where delirium could make things happen
Branches of the trees seemingly stretched
Ready to drag me back into the abyss
For a moment
Enshrouded in mist

Then the car moved faster
Expressing incredulity I was
But soon from the mist it emerged
Was I no longer shivering
Was it no longer dark
And there were the sun rays
Sifting through the canopy of leaves

A turn onto Avenue 18
Brought me daylight in a second
Cherish the hope and delight
Had I made the most crucial turn of my life
And survived
A turn onto Avenue 18

Came out from the car I did
Isn’t it time to change
Sleek new car before me
Donned in a jaunty yellow
Getting inside
Revving it up
Feeling the newly-founded power and difference
And in this new car
Will I continue on Avenue 18

No comments: