Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Prince and the Pauper

I thought I was the only one. I was wrong. I thought that those who were successful in the past would be successful forever. I was wrong. I thought that those who were failures in the past would be failures forever. I was wrong.

A meeting with a former classmate from secondary school today made me realise it. In the midst of all the catching-up, sharing of joys and just chatting, I realised a very simple fact: Life is never consistent. At some point in every person's life, there is bound to be a turning point - no matter how subtle or drastic it is. You see, we both updated each other on what we know of our former classmates and I realised that some former classmates are doing exceptionally well now (Getting outstanding academic results, having joyful relationships and just enjoying life in their respective schools), while some are going through a very bad patch (Getting poor results, fails inclusive, having no objectives and directions in life, confusion over what they want). I would categorise both the former classmate I met up with and I in the former category as life has really been looking up for both of us.

How things have changed for me. Pauper for the last 7 years, I finally met my turning point at MDIS. Well, from the 1st day in MDIS, my life would change forever. I changed my academic results, personality, social life and physical appearance. I am proud of what I have changed and achieved this year. Once a guy on a steep downward slide towards the abyss, it seems that something divine has bended the curve and provided an equally steep (as in a really great rise) way up for me.

Everyone has a turning point in life. I once thought that I would forever be branded a failure and a loser for life, but little did I know that my downward slope just came earlier than everyone else's. And now, I bear the fruits of delight as I ascend in my life. Some people enjoyed an upward slope earlier, but bump into a downward slope now. I am very glad and relieved that my downward slope has ended since the start of this year and I have already begun to lead a life full of meaning and joys.

Am I really the Prince now? No. Not yet, anyways, though I could think of myself as one who leads the life of a prince right now. I just think that I am missing just one ingredient that could make me truly feel like a prince - to feel happier than happy. It is sweet. And it is loving. A dose of sweetness and another potion of love could certainly make me feel happier than happy.

Unfortunately, I dropped the sugar and spilled the potion of love on the way so I couldn't end this year feeling like a true Prince. Nevertheless, 2008 WILL always be remembered as the turning point of my life - the year that my life changed forever. I love you, 2008.

Btw, I am OH so flattered that everyone thinks I have a girlfriend. Well, my female cousin thought that I have a girlfriend even after I insisted I am currently single. And just today, my former classmate also thought that I have a girlfriend - that is, before I told her I am currently single. If only what they said was true, but no, I am currently single - which SUCKS. Oh, that depends on how you see it. Sometimes, being single has advantages. Now, who is the next person to say, "You have a girlfriend, right?" or to put it in its authentic form: "Ni You Nu Peng You Le, Right?"

GIRLFRIEND!?! Oh my, don't flatter me. Perhaps it's because of how much I have changed since ... ... Thanks for letting me know how much I have changed since, people.

No comments: