Thursday, May 22, 2008

Awful, and More Awful Food

(picture from http://www.lovesingaporefood.blogspot.com/)


Alright, I have heard this statement for the umpteenth time: When you are hungry, any food tastes nice. But I beg to be at variance with this statement – especially when my neighbourhood is swarmed with second-rate eateries and food centers. Now, this is an issue because whenever my stomach is growling, I need to spend a few moments contemplating what I should eat. You can call me a finicky eater. But after having consumed the mostly (note: mostly, not all; there remains a smattering of exceptionally good food) pathetic fare that my neighbourhood eateries and food centers have been offering for so many years, I am loath to tolerate the food any longer. Sure, there is the better ersatz western-style food cooked by those restaurant chef rejects once in a while to relieve my taste buds of all the torture, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is acceptable. You may chastise me for not being willing to spend much on food, but hey, I am a penurious guy – there is the occasional fast food meals and restaurant delights, but nothing more.

I experienced this very same woe again this afternoon. For a moment, I thought it would be fun to prepare my own meal. Perhaps a juicy sausage wrapped in between a soft bun and topped with mustard and ketchup. But like so many times before, I decided not to because cooking is just too inconvenient. I have to search for the ‘ingredients’ in the supermarket, mess up the oven, and clean it after all is done. Now, isn’t that too much of a hassle for a simple sausage bun?

Which leads me to the next question: Why is typical Singaporean food so awful? A newspaper report once quoted a cooker at one of those food centers, who said that the food at food centers isn’t prepared to appeal to taste buds. Rather, the food is just meant to fill stomachs. I accepted his words without demur – or perhaps his words are a mere euphemism for “We suck at cooking, alright. We are only interested in money.” Yeah, as you might have extrapolated by now, these cookers have no passion in preparing good food – they are only interested in churning out garbage – food that are so tasteless (even if the food has a taste, it is probably awful) and vomit-inducing – and collecting your moolah.

All hope is not lost, though – that is, if you place your faith in those television and magazine food guides. But do count me out, please. I have encountered numerous food stalls and eateries which have been awarded with these so-called “good food labels”, which are at times complemented by photographs of the cookers posing with the celebrities to inject credibility. But their food is anything but – I have been disappointed by the distinct lack of quality in the food time and time again.

Oh gosh, please, spare me the crap. There were times when I was really hungry and had no other choices but to force the terrible food down my throat. Pardon me, but I am not a food critic, nor do I have the ability to provide detailed descriptions of food, but if you want to have a taste of how awful is awful food really like, do drop a comment, but I suppose that if you are a Singaporean, you must have had similar experiences. You may expostulate against this commentary, seeing that the typical food served in the food centers is the most affordable, but the lack of any sign of quality in the food is unacceptable. And now, I cross my fingers, hoping that things will improve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Singaporean food awful? what's wrong with you!

Eyes & Smile said...

I am a finicky eater. :D

Anonymous said...

I believe Singaporean food is very well accept by the world. My conclusion after reading is that you're a born looser as food is concern.

Eyes & Smile said...

Well accepted by the world?

Well, yeah, generally.

Note: it's well accepted, NOT well received. 'Well accepted' and 'well received' are different.

Singapore food has been made more recognised (or well accpeted, in your words) beacause of the constant emphasis of food by the Singapore Tourism Board. Singapore food festivals are also organised regularly overseas.

Without STB, it would be a slightly different matter.