Sunday, May 25, 2008

Chicken so Good


For only the 4th time in my life have I tasted the awesome chicken of Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits this week at its Changi Airport Terminal 1 branch. It chicken tastes so unequivocally fantastic that it beats KFC’s hands down. And then you must have wondered: If the chicken is so irresistibly nice, why haven’t I patronised Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits more often? Well, unfortunately, Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits only has branches at Changi Airport. I live in the West and a typical trip to the Airport would take me a little more than an hour, so it’s relatively inconvenient for me. KFC wins by virtue of its several branches, but had Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits set up more outlets, it would put all other fast food restaurants in Singapore out of business.

My trip there this Friday with my friends proved to be worthwhile as the chicken still tasted as good as ever from a year back. The price had increased, though. A 2 piece chicken meal costs $6.90, 70 cents more than KFC’s similar 2 piece chicken meal. But what’s 70 cents when the serving was more generous than KFC’s? Not to mention the distinctive taste of its Cajun fries, butter biscuit, and mashed potato in addition to the main food itself: the chicken. I was pleasantly surprised by the improved taste of the mashed potato as spices had been added. The butter biscuit was a refreshing change from the typical soft bun, and it was in equal parts crispy and unique. Furthermore, the strawberry jam made an excellent accompaniment to the butter biscuit. The Cajun fries weren’t over fried and soggy, but rather, stiff and crunchy. All the sides served to complement the savoury chicken, which I consumed in delicate mouthfuls.

However, the price was a little steep. As mentioned, a 2 piece chicken meal costs $6.90, while a 3 piece chicken strip meal costs $6.70. Each meal comes with a selectable side and a drink. An upsize costs $1, instead of the usual 50 cents, and you need to pay extra for requests of specific chicken parts. But does it matter? No, it does not – you pay good money for good food. So far, I have only tried its chicken strips and chicken parts, but I will be sure to have taste of its burgers and fish the next time I drop by.

Aw, if only there are more branches of Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits because I like it so much! On a sidenote, I did a search on Google about similar chicken offerings in Singapore and discovered Arnold’s Chicken at City Plaza. So, let’s head out for it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do you know about Popeyes fried chicken? FYI. they were in Singapore about 20+ years ago. With only 1 outlet at the old Roxy theatre and went bust after lest than a year.

Eyes & Smile said...

Which means Popeyes Fried Chicken is older than me.

Yews, didn't know about that.

Um ... ... but does it matter?