Monday, June 9, 2008

Arnold's Fried Chicken is Mediocre


Looks are deceiving

It isn’t often that I hear people suggest that there is an eatery that serves better fried chicken than the ubiquitous KFC and the definitely-better-than-KFC Popeye’s Chicken and Biscuits (now also located at the Singapore Flyer in addition to Changi Airport). And when it does happen, it would perhaps be time to dedicate some attention to the eatery. However, after dining at Arnold’s Fried Chicken last Sunday night (June 8 2008), I discovered that my opinions on the food there are diametrically opposed with those found here: (http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/arnold_s_fried_chicken/).

Being the food lover that I have always been, I made my trip down to City Plaza, which is near Paya Lebar MRT Station – with the specific aim of wanting to ascertain the many positive claims made by netizens about Arnold’s Fried Chicken. I took approximately an hour to travel from my home to City Plaza, but what’s 1 hour if there’s heavenly food as reward? Surprisingly though, I left Arnold’s Fried Chicken feeling wholly dissatisfied and severely pissed off by the stupidity of the many netizens (refer to the link above).

Recommended are the Half Spring Chicken Meal and the so-called ‘must-try’ coleslaw, so I ordered just that – the Half Spring Chicken Meal, which included fries and coleslaw, but excluded drinks. Arnold’s Fried Chicken supposedly fries the chicken only when a customer orders it, so I needed to wait for about 5 minutes before my meal arrived. During the 5 minutes, I was looking at the many other patrons eating their chicken – you know, so that I know what to expect. While some were literally guzzling down their chickens, some sank their mouths into their chickens in somewhat measured mouthfuls – and there were palpable looks of awesomeness on their faces. Aha! My Half Spring Chicken meal finally arrived.

And I took my first bite. I allowed the chicken to move around the interior of my mouth – this, so that my tongue can have some time to lick up the spices and juice of the meat. But alas, there was none. I found myself chewing on some tasteless pieces of chicken – as bland as paper. Perhaps more noteworthy is the skin of the chicken, which I found to be appropriately marinated with the right spices – it was also extra crispy! But that’s about it. The meat was simply disappointing. Arnold’s Fried Chicken thrives on some people’s stupidity – the unfathomable inability to tell the difference between hot food and tasteless food. You see, Arnold’s Fried Chicken is simply using the hotness of its ‘fried-only-after-it-has-been-ordered’ chicken to mask the blandness of the meat. Arnold’s Fried Chicken can deceive goons, but a goon I am not, so here’s my valedictory verdict on its chicken: It’s mediocre, and it’s just a food centre’s Western Food Stall’s fried chicken in disguise at best.

Its fries are hopeless chunks of nonsense and while its coleslaw is really good, it still doesn’t justify a trip down to Arnold’s Fried Chicken. I can get coleslaw which is just as good at some of the food centres in Singapore. I would rate the fried chicken served by Arnold’s Fried Chicken 4th after the most delicious fried chicken in Singapore from Popeye’s Chicken and Biscuits, followed by McDonald’s McWings in 2nd position, and KFC’s fried Chicken in 3rd position. I would advise Arnold’s Fried Chicken against opening any more outlet because it’s just isn’t there yet.

Tried Arnold’s Fried Chicken before? It’s located at City Plaza and Pasir Ris Town Park. Disagree or agree with my views? Drop a comment. I have always loved to hear from my readers.

*Do note that the vaguely offensive language used in this post is not intended to insult, but rather to make the post more lively. Any offence caused is regretted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a goon you really are! You write with the impression that you were there alone. Please take a better look at your posted picture. There seems to be at least 2 person there. Can we believe what you wrote????

Eyes & Smile said...

Impression is one thing. Fact is another thing.

The image is there to let you know that I am not alone, but I wanted to focus on my opinions in the post and hence the style of the writing.

And why are you hiding behind an 'anonymous' tag?