Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vacation Job, June 2008 (II)



Sorry, people, no photos for this post. Alright, I am probably too busy this week (my second week of work now) to take any. As expected, I was 'promoted' to scanning goods for this week, though there was still the occassional cleaning of mouldy bags (hey, new shipments had arrived!). What was not expected, though, was that scanning goods wasn't any better than cleaning mouldy bags. In fact, I dislike both tasks so much that going to work has become more of a penance. What options do I have? I have my hands tied by a 1 month contract (which lasts till the last day of June), you know.

Ok, let me run down the process of 'scanning goods'; in other words, the internal workings of a warehouse or store: Department stores like Robinsons, Metro, BHG, Takashimaya, Tangs and The Wallet Shop begin each day by faxing their orders to the company (of course, they take turns; each department store doesn't order goods daily). Needless to say, there are various branches for each department store (e.g. for BHG, there's the Bugis flagship store, Tampines and so on and so forth), and different branches will fax over their orders separately. On 'good' days, there will be orders of less than 100 items for each branch, but for 'not-so-good' days, there will be orders of more than 100 items for each branch, sometimes more than 200. If we can't finish scanning the goods that are ordered (scanning the products updates the warehouse's inventory so that the company can keep track of the quantity of products that go out and in), we may be required to clock some overtime hours - and I had personally done that twice this week. There were times when errors occured - when the quantity of products indicated on the invoices didn't match the the quantity of ordered products stated on the goods order form, and when that happened, we would have to check the scanned-product-list against the goods order form and rectify the errors. It may seem like an easy task here, but imagine doing that constantly in a dusty, hot warehouse, and you will know what it really feels like. After scanning the products, I need to pack the products into cartons and label them accordingly before the delivery person can send the products to the store. For a person who has an allergy to dust mites, working in a dusty and hot warehouse wasn't all that good afterall. Now, it'd be inappropiate to mention that I prefer scrubbing mouldy bags either because that task is a severe bore. So, erm ... ... I HATE THIS JOB!

And twice this week, I suffered severe headaches - perhaps due to the 'bad' environment. And yesterday (Friday, June 13 2008), I came down with a flu, not excluding a dry throat and a slight fever - all thanks to my damn job. While I may have the ability to pen this post with all the aforementioned still present save the headache, I am afraid I may not be fit to complete my graduation project (which is due next Saturday, June 21) today. I really want to complete it - either by today or tomorrow, but - ok, I will try. I want to start on my Ninja Gaiden 2, you know.

The sole consolation this week was that I finally found a shorter way to work. I now alight at Bouna Vista MRT Station prior to transferring to bus service 91. By the way, I am getting sick of the canteen food - meh! Now, only 2 more weeks left and I am switching jobs. I should have more than ample money to get a PSP Slim and Lite by the end of July or earlier. Do check back next week for the review of my 3rd week at work. ARGH! The last day of June can't come soon enough!

No comments: