Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Met New, New Continues to Meet the Undiscovered



And so the new semester of classes has started. Although I have been looking forward to school for as long as I could remember, I must admit that getting used to the new class wasn't as easy as I thought.

I usually wake up at 9am every weekday during the holidays, but having to arise by 7am out of a sudden isn't the best thing I could ask for. As my classes are now being conducted at Dhoby Ghaut rather than the Stirling Road campus, more time has to be spent commuting in the train. What this translates into is so MUCH more jostling with fellow passengers. So while the idea of having classes shifted to the Dhoby Ghaut campus may seem exciting initially, it is actually not. Those are just some of the problems.

Opening my eyes to the new class on Monday, I sighed. Boy, how much I prefer my diploma class! My diploma class was bigger and the atmosphere was better. Now, let this statement be a 'first impression' kind of thing: The new students in this class don't look too interesting. I have a 'muscular guy' persona in my diploma class, but this new class doesn't. I have 'cute girl' personas in my diploma class, but this new class doesn't. Well, not that it doesn't have 'cute girl' personas, it just has less than a handful. How boring! And for a punch-out, the lecturers are so dull as well. But those are just first impressions, and if history is anything to go by, I would make more new friends and learn more about the class soon. I will be sure to knock up some mobile phone numbers and msn addresses soon! Well, have already gotten one.

But perhaps the biggest change I notice is in me. Why am I suddenly observing my sense of fashion so closely? Why am I suddenly dressing up in ways that I don't usually do? But I must say that I like my new hair color - that is, after getting used to it. And with some strategic placement of water and wax, I can create new and various beautiful styles for my hair. I guess the change must be due to my want of being different. I have heard people tell me to BE MYSELF, but I am changing myself, so I am still being myself. Being myself means wanting to constantly change, and constantly improving myself. Making myself look nicer, more presentatable certainly makes me more confident - it makes me feel REALLY good. And when people take notice of my 'presentation', it makes me feel even better. I know this sounds really weird - yes, I am getting increasingly vain - but that's just me.

I remember the days when I was a very ugly duckling - during my poly days. There was one day when a few classmates and I were sitting at a corner in Orchard MRT Station waiting for the rest so that we could proceed to a talk in Orchard library (now closed) - it's compulsory. A scout came forward because she was looking for male models for her model agency and sent 2 of my classmates namecards. Being much fatter then, I had a very obvious double chin and some pimples on my face and really untidy hair. It was demoralizing. But as I hated my life back then (design course in temasek poly sucks!), I didn't have the motivation to create a better look for myself. It wasn't until I arrived at MDIS that my life changed for the better - better grades and the kicking of my anti-social ways - and I started taking notice of my looks.

I have arrived at this stage where I want to look my best. I no longer have a double chin after the 3 months spent earlier this year at the gym and I am always trying to maintain a face that is as flawless as possible (note: only as flawless as possible; it's not perfect). New clothes and new hairstyles are in. Facial cream is in. But no exercises to build a better me? No, wait, I will return to the gym for regular sessions later this year. I was a VERY ugly duckling in the past. And I would never want to be an ugly duckling again - it makes you miserable, it robs you of your confidence.

And now I stand at where I am now, always continuing to discover the undiscovered. I don't know what the future holds for me, but I will uncover it bit by bit, only bounded by the webs of time. Boy, this post is increasingly showing the very emo side of me!

But anyway, I only hope for interesting things for my new class and as always, I will constantly experiment and change myself. Here's signing off before I get too emo.

Note: I could use a poem to do this post, but I thought that wouldn't be enough to express my utmost feelings.

No comments: