Saturday, November 22, 2008

Life Is All About Achieving, Isn't It?

It seems that it has been a long time since my last update, but well, I was just too busy with my exam revision and all, and there didn't seem to be anything monumentally thought-provoking during the past few weeks. Well, too though-provoking enough to be written here.

But a couple of things which happened yesterday sent me into contemplation. You see, someone in my class has just gotten her driving license last week and just yesterday, I was reminded of it after she pulled out a spread of road map and enquired her friends about driving directions. Without doubt, she looked excited to be finally able to drive legally for the 1st time in her life. Well, who wouldn't? If I were her, I would too. In fact, her excitement was so obvious that I noticed it right away.

But that's not the point. Needless to say, I grew considerably envious of her - well, her driving license. Although it's understandable for me not to have a driving license since I just turned 18 and do not exactly have the financial power to pay for my driving lessons, I am still envy of others having a driving license. How great it would be to be able to drive? I want a driving license so badly, so imagine the 'urgh!' feeling within me when I see others, one by one, get theirs (although all of them who do get their driving licenses eventually are bigger than me in age).

Wait, that's still not the point. Getting a driving license, being happy about it and going all gaga over one's first attempt to be able to drive legally on the roads IS an achievement. Each achievement makes a person happy. And after seeing her getting all so excited, it set me thinking: Life is a never-ending spiral of seeking achievements, isn't it? We all want to be happy, but happiness is something that can be, if not soley, derived from achievements, so we (at least me) are constantly fueled by this want for achievement.

There are different types of achievements and I can see everyone seeking some kind of achievement. One person in my class seeks a desirable body by cosistently going to the gym to build up muscles, another seeks an achievement in music, while a handful seek an achievement in academic results. I, too, have a couple of achievements in my hands, but as always, I am never happy with my current achievements and the want to be happy constantly drive me to seek my next achievement. Achievement isn't only about being happy, it's also about being able to showcase to others, to tell others, "Hey, I have this!" And trust me, that feeling is GREAT. Some achievements are intangible, while some are tangible, and I especially like the later.

A statement made by my friend yesterday also provoked a great amount of thoughts in me. He said that there's not really any talent involved in being a model and that being a model is easy. I disagree with his statement.

Well, that should come as no surprise as I seek to be a freelance model. But more importantly, I feel that there's talent involved in being a model - it's just that the talent is an in-born one. What's the talent involved in being a model then? It's the looks; to be a model, you must be handsome or pretty and people must like how you look. To put it simply, you must look good. And that's no easy task as being able to look good and stand out from the crowd, to look better than others is no mean feat. I salute those who are models as they really have what it takes to be one.

I, for one, literally put aside a chance to be a model when an opportunity came a knocking on the door in August. All that was needed was an interview and some photoshoots and wala! I would be on my way. But there's a reason for putting down the chance because I didn't think I was good enough to compete with the many other models out there. I have seen other male models before in advertisements and magazine features and they are REALLY stunning. Oh, how is it possible for me to be one? It was a reluctant choice as I do really want to become a freelance model (one of my 3 ambitions), but I just needed time to make myself look better so that I can have more confidence in myself.

And now, after some work on my body, my goal of striving towards that 'more desirable body' is all the more possible. Call it wanting a more sexually desirable body or whatever, but having that would definitely make me feel really good - and hey, it's a tangible achievement as well - one that can be showcased. Admittably, I didn't have this goal when I began the year; it's only during the 2nd quarter of the year that I decided I WANT TO LOOK GOOD.

But looking good is difficult. It includes not only having a desirable hairstyle to match a desirably flawless face, but also having a desirable body - a hot bod, if you would call it. I want to constantly improve on my hairstyle and face, but the body's so difficult to improve as it requires a lot of effort to scuplt it into something desirable. And now, after the work on my body, it has made my task, or rather, my goal of having a more desirable body a whole lot easier. Now is the time I shall start to seek a new achievement: To have a desirable body and have it complement the hairstyle and face, driving me towards the goal of being a freelance model. I mean, the chance is already there, the doors are already opened for me to be a model - all I need to do is to make myself better before entering the door!

I shall leave that achievement (yea! To look better overall) to 2009 so that there's enough time to scuplt a more desirable body (gym!). In fact, thinking back, I have invested ENORMOUS amounts of time and money into this driving myself towards this achievement this year. I have put in lots of time going to the gym (the natural method), and I have even taken the artificial method (pills) as well - it's literally doing it from all fronts. And I expect these methods to pay off sometime - well, they MUST, don't they?

When I became qualified to be a lifeguard in 2005, it was an achievement. When I received my diploma certificate earlier this year complete with a impressive list of results (how could have I ever imagine this at the start of the year!), it was an achievement. When I have dropped 12kg since the start of the year, it was an achievement. When my life changed 360 degrees this year to become a more sociable one (and to have really good and nice friends), it was an achievement. When I experienced the sweet feeling of love for the 1st time this year, it was an achievement (though I would consider it minor since it didn't really affect my life in 2008 much). And there goes 2008 in a few weeks' time.

In 2009, I would continue the unfinished works of 2008 - that is, seeking my next achievement: to have a better overall look and be finally confident that I can be a freelance model! At the same time, I hope to achieve the same kind of results I had in Diploma in Advanced Diploma. After which, I would find new achievements to seek - the achievements of 2009. All achievements require effort and I am willing to put in effort to seek those achievements because achievements make me happy and there's a sense of satisfication. More importantly, life is a never-ending spiral of seeking achievements - to have achievements so that no one will look down on you, so that you will have something desirable, something unique that others don't. I personally am the competitive kind of person, so I would always like to better others if it is in my capability to do so.

Life is all about achieveing, isn't it?

No comments: