Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Last Hump Before the End



The looming project deadlines gave me immense, yet constant pressure for the past few weeks. Due to the great demands of both projects, I had never felt compelled to begin with either until the last 2 weeks leading to the deadline of the projects. Certainly, I was lazy, but that did not mean I put in any less effort when doing the projects.

Again, I recalled flashes of my less-than-desired academic life at my poly when I received my results for one particular project. Due to the confidential nature that comes with this topic, I shall not reveal too much BUT I dare say that beneath all the supposedly fair marking of projects, there remain some lecturers who are biased in their marking, often resorting to cheap underhand tactics and tricks to undermine our talents and efforts to deliver an under-considered, crappy score - something that is a crushing blow to our dignities. It wasn't my 1st encounter with such a unjust lecturer - and it wouldn't be my last. But I am surprised that depsite the ostensibly 'fair' system that our education industry in Singapore adopts, there remain a few black sheeps.

And what can we do about the situation? Absolutely nothing. It's like the customer service line - Customers are always right. But in this case, lecturers are always right. So they can be nigh unjust in their marking and we can do nothing about it. How do they cover this up? Simple. They employ a lack of transparency in their marking and fail to coherently list out any of marking criteria. When questioned, they exercise manipulation by adopting an intimidating stance via the exploitation of authority and skillfully evading questions and changing subjects. How disappointing. That the good students don't always get the marks they deserve.

Needless to say, there are other lecturers whose flaws in their markings are nothing short of being obvious. Extra work and effort don't always get recognised, nor do some abilities. But at least, the marks administered are respectable (though I expect more for all the effort that I put into my work and the final quality of the work).

But what can we do?

No comments: