Saturday, January 31, 2009

Why Some Schools and Lecturers are Flawed


Studying for exams is bad enough. Starting to study for exams a few days prior to the paper is worse. But can you blame me for that - for only starting to study a few days before I sit for the paper? No, you can't. What's the point of early revision? Wait, let's look at the bigger picture. What's the point of exams, anyways? Aren't they just memory tests? You memorise the information and you spit out the data when answering the questions. That's exams. So what's the point of early revision when all that you've been working for is an exercise in memory? Won't you just forget the information were you to start revising early? So now you know why I always begin to study a few days prior to my paper.

Sorry for the digression. And yeah, I was mentionin that starting to study for exams a few days prior to the paper is worse. But the pages of a thousand scattered sentences is worst! Now, that may sound confusing but allow me to explain. What I am saying is that the coursebooks and lecturers' notes are all haphazardly done - something that I have noticed for the past year. Wait, I need more paragraphs to rant about this.

Alrite, there's rich information, but problem is: They are scattered all over the book - yes, like a jigsaw puzzle - meaning they are utterly unorganised. Points that belong to a certain section can suddenly pop up in another unrelated section and that brings unnecessary trouble during my revision. I have to flip through the pages of the coursebook and scan through each page carefully for any 'hidden' points that don't belong where they are located. It's because of this that I have to make my own notes - it's because the coursebook is just so damn unorganised!

That's not the only problem with the coursebook and lecturers' notes. More often than not, I would find overlapping points here and there - or elaborated points which just don't rhythm with the main headings. These make me go, "Hey, is this sentence supposed to be here at all!" I aren't even sure whether I would be right if I really do write the given points down in my paper. And when there are no overlapping points or displaced sentences, there are sentences which just do not make a whole lot of sense, but fortunately, those instances are rare.

So you thought that everything's been resolved. NO! The English written in the coursebooks and lecturers' notes are absolutely terrible. There are several mistakes - here, there and everywhere - and when read, these mistakes make the sentences sound like they were being written by some drunkard or kid. Often times do I find incohesive sentences as well.

Simply put, coursebooks and lectuers' notes are just unreliable. Granted, they provide the ingredients for a well-done exam, but they sure like to shove raw ingredients to me. Now, not only do I have to cook these ingredients, but also combine them and cook them again so that I can attain a respectable dish. All these make studying for exams more of a chore than a practice. I wouldn't mind it were the exams testing us on concepts and creativity (then yes, that's the way we are supposed to study for exams - we need to make a good dish), but HEY, the DAMN EXAMS NOW are testing our memories, not our concepts or creativity (so the dish needs to be pre-cooked for us on a plate).

Don't you get it? It depends on the objective of the exams. If you are going to test our memory, you have better give us a dish to swallow so that we know how it tastes like and will be able to tell you how it tastes like when you ask us. If you are going to test our intelligence (note: testing for memory is not testing for intelligence), then you are allowed to give us only the ingredients and tell us to make a dish from those ingredients.

SOME SCHOOL AND LECTURERS DON'T KNOW THE OBJECTIVES OF THEIR EXAMS! So of course, they administer the wrong treatment. This is soooo flawed and will forever be because they just refuse to admit that they are wrong.

This will be my last exams. Well, lucky. Anyways, I don't really have the energy to carry on with this flawed system anymore. So yes, lucky that this round of exams will be my last.

No comments: