Monday, February 23, 2009

Post-MDIS Days So Far


It has been 9 days since the last day of school. It has been 9 days since the end of a 1.25 years period in MDIS. It was surreal - just like how I felt when my days at my primary and secondary school ended. And right now, I am swimming in the night sky - groping my way objectivelessly around a pitch dark environment. There remains a few months before I get pulled into NS. And I don't really have an idea of how I can spend these few months meaningfully.

For the past 9 days, I have been going out with my friends daily. On days where there was money to be spared, it was fun. On days where there was little in the wallet, it was relatively boring. You see, there isn't really a whole lot of enjoyable things you can do in Singapore - unless you are willing to spend a considerable amount. An example of a really really enjoyable day would be to dine at a restaurant, put all that awesome food down my digestion system before window shopping and rounding off the day with a movie at my favourite cinema (Cathay Orchard Cineleisure or Shaw Lido). Another really really enjoyable day would be to spend the day at the beach or any of the theme parks. Well, I am just listing down some of the more enjoyable days I have spent within the past 9 days. Of course, if I have $160 to play paintball for a day or $50 to ride 40 minutes' worth of Go-kart, the day would be really really enjoyable too. And why not go on a holiday if I have more money to spare? How I wish I could spend every day of my life before NS doing these stuffs. That would be nice, but the costs are unimaginably high. What's a budget-centric me got to do? I want to dine at a restaurant every day, I want to catch a movie at my favourite cinema every day, I want to spend time at the theme park every day, but all that'd be impossible.

When the time calls for it, it's possible to scrimp - at the expense of more boring days. I love my fast food and some lower-cost food so eating these instead of restaurant wonders is still acceptable. When the budget calls for tighter constraints, playing video games with my friends does well to substitute catching movies at my favourite cinemas. Of course I do enjoy activities like swimming and cycling from time to time too. Well, that's about it. That's what I can do if I am out with a smaller budget, which is true for 25% of the times.

Let's face it, Singapore is a ridiculously boring place. 9 days since the last day of school and it's easy to see that. Almost every other day, I find myself traveling to or past the same locations and walking through the same few shopping malls. It's not that terrible, especially when you have close friends whom you can talk to on and on all day, but in an extended run, waking up to another day where I find myself not knowing how to spend the day meaningfully, or at least enjoyably, may drive me nuts. And so we are brought back to the fact that Singapore is indeed a boring place.

Thus far, I have been talking about the activity aspect of my post-MDIS life. The other aspect to my post MDIS-life would be the people aspect, I suppose? It takes only 9 days to realise who I will maintain contact with for the future. There isn't really a need to keep in touch with that many people so yeah, it's expected that the number of people whom I keep in touch with after the last day of school is small - I'll never forget my close friends. There are others, however, whom I want so much to keep in touch with, but come to think of it, I am perhaps asking for the implausible. It's implausible to ask for contact with these 2 persons because I seldom hang out with them after classes during the MDIS days, so wouldn't it be odd if I suddenly ask for a meeting? The fact that these 2 persons are females further exacerbates my wishes. It's hardly imaginable these days that persons of opposite genders will meet regularly without any motives (So YES, persons of opposite genders who meet regularly usually have objectives). Hey, I am being practical here. And it seems that the situation will remain just this way.

No comments: