Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Apple is a Question (Part 1)



Since the iPhone launched last month, I have been seeing several people using the device. On one hand, I would like to buy the iPhone because it has that really impressive touch technology, which I believe increases the simplicity and convenience of navigating around the phone menus. I have also recently discovered that the iPhone is in fact a very competent handheld gaming platform, something that excites me to no end considering that I am most passionate about gaming. When drawn into comparison with other mobilephones, the iPhone is fields ahead of the competition as far as videogames are concerned. You only need to look at the screenshot below for an instant verification of the power contained under the hood of the iPhone.


On the other hand, I aren't that willing to buy the iPhone because transferring songs to it may be relatively troublesome. With a brand and product that prides itself on its user friendliness, I find it contradictory that Apple has something known as the iTunes. I have not owned any iPod before, but from what I have heard from others who have either the iPod or the iPhone, one needs to import songs into iTunes first before one is able to transfer songs into the iPod or iPhone. Why would I want to do that if I can use another MP3 player and merely drag and drop my songs without fuss? The later is more convenient and saves time as well.

Perhaps the biggest factor deterring me from buying an iPhone is its price. Apple is notorious for overpricing its products and the iPhone is no different. Currently, the only legal seller of the iPhone is Singtel and oops, it doesn't sell the phone without a contract. So, if I want to get the iPhone, I would have to either buy it from someone else or make a trip to Sim Lim Square and get myself a hacked iPhone, both of which would cost me a ruinous price that starts from $1000. Where can I get the money?

In a nutshell, buying an iPhone is still out of the question, due largely to its jaw-dropping price. And I wonder when Apple will actually introduce drag and drop functionality for song transferring.


Thus far, I have provided indications that the iPhone is still a 'puchasable' product, but what of the iPod? Well, I have to say that I won't be considering an iPod anytime soon. One of the primary reasons why I won't consider an iPod is its design (save for the iPod Touch, which looks almost exactly like the iPhone). I hate the fact that the iPod's design has stayed stagnant for god-know-how-many-years. Well, if it's beautiful, why change it, you may ask. Well, I have to say that no, I dislike the design of the iPod. And I seriously pissed off by Apple for refusing time and time AND TIME AGAIN to provide additional designs options for people like me, people who just don't dig the current scroll-wheel-cum-simplicity design of the iPod. Why would Apple even call new iPods redesigns when I AM STILL SEEING THE SAME DAMN DESIGN FOR A DECADE!

The other primary reason why I wouldn't consider an iPod is because it's not appropiately priced. But what's more insulting is how Apple parades out a new iPod 'redesign' (or a new-gen iPod) in less than a year! Let's just say I put my money on a particular iPod today and months later, Apple would be unveiling another iPod. What's the point of buying a product when months later, a new model is going to arrive at the same DAMN price, AND with better features! WHAT'S THE POINT!

The last reason why I wouldn't consider getting an iPod is because of the already-mentioned trouble of song-transferring to the device. Abolish iTunes, DAMMIT! Transferring songs to an iPod is simply slower and less convenient than other MP3 players - something I wouldn't want given the SKY-HIGH PRICE I must pay for an iPod.

Stay tuned as I touch on more on Apple products soon.

No comments: