Monday, September 15, 2008

Facebook: The Flaw



I didn't join Facebook until a few months ago - for reasons that I couldn't even identify myself. Prior to joining Facebook, I was exclusively on Friendster, but after months with Facebook, I found myself wanting to close my Friendster account - or do I really want to do that?

I apologise for the said statement. I don't want to neglect my Friendster account - not now - not yet. The thing is: As much as how Facebook is a great social networking tool today, and how it is so much better than Friendster as far as functionality is concerned, there remains some flaws in Facebook that make me want to storm the Facebook office and slap the developers of the application.

Beyond a shadown of doubt, Facebook is better than Friendster. There's a ton of applications, both first-party and third-party created, to toy around with (though 75% of them are RETARDED) when you are bored. And on last count, there are more groups created on Facebook than on Friendster, with the former having some really funky ones like "I Love Milo" and "I will pay anything for a good bowl of Laksa" to boot.

What's more enticing about Facebook, perhaps, is the all-interesting status updates, which allow you to see what your friends are doing at the moment, though not literally. And if they happen to be logged in onto Facebook at the same time as you, you can initiate an online chat with them (though that task is better serviced with Windows Live Messenger). All updates by your friends, be it new photos, comments, or profile changes would also be displayed on your Facebook homepage upon logging in.

But here comes the part where Facebook fails miserably. For one, the photo upload service SUCKS like piles of bull's vomit. You wouldn't be wrong to guess that I am utterly frustrated by Facebook's horrendous photo upload mechanics. Facebook takes a REALLY long time to upload photos and even fails to upload them successfully during some instances. That being said, you would be better advised to upload your photos one at a time onto Facebook rather than sending in a batch of more than 5 photos at any one time as it would only cause Facebook to freeze more often than not. THAT'S IT: Facebook's photo upload system is SHIT and that's probably the reason why you can only see 3 self-uploaded photos on my Facebook. I hate to upload photos on Facebook because it's so tedious - and need I remind you that the user interface is clunky.

My Friendster account still exists - thanks to its intuitive and friendly photo upload mechanics. It would be my wish to marry Friendster's photo upload services with the sheer functionality of Facebook - that'd be my idea of a perfect social networking tool. Until then, I would still keep my Friendster account running.

No comments: