Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Eat More or Eat Less?



The days of regular fast food meals and potato chip feasts are over. And so are the days of guzzling down bowls of Laksa, packets of Roti Prata and Nasi Lemak and sticks of finger food like sausages, fish fingers and chicken nuggets. I do give myself a treat once in a while, but I would be happy to do without breakfast and dinner (or lunch and dinner at times) for most days. While the former has been acknowledged to be the most important meal of the day, I seriously beg to differ - that's just an overused adage, isn't it? The moment I take in more food (calories) than needed for the day, the weight's just going to pile on - that's why a proper meal per day's enough.

How I really envy those people with high metabolism rates - people who do not put on weight even if they have consumed quite a deal of what I call 'weighty food' like chicken chop, pizza and the like. Unfortunately, I do not belong to this category of people - which means 'weighty food' does a considerable amount of 'damage' to me. In other words, I have to forgo some of my most favourite foods and that include snacks (I have a sweet tooth too!). Well, I don't use to care what I eat in the past, much less watching my weight - so that's certainly isn't a problem then. But it IS now.

Earlier this year, I went to the gym daily for 3 months and my weight went down by a respectable 7kg. Still unhappy with my current body, I decided to begin round 2 of this 'torture' a little over a week ago. I accomplished my aim of shedding weight the last time around, but needless to say, that isn't quite enough - not for me, anyways. YES, I still do want to shed more weight - to underweight, perhaps? But no worries - for my version of underweight is in accordance with increased fitness. BUT at the same time, I want round 2 of this 'torture' to have a 'bonus effect', which is the building of some muscles.

Here comes the problem. Eating more helps me build muscles more easily and faster, BUT if the the workout isn't enough to complement the aim of building muscles, the extra food (proteins) will be converted to fats instead. Now, I am apprehensive of that. On the other hand, if I continue my dieting, I will have more control over my weight and I can shed weight more easily and rapidly. However, muscles won't be built that easily nor quickly. So what's my choice? Of course, shedding more weight is my bigger priority, BUT I don't want to give up my aim of building muscles. Well, yes, I do want both, so what do I do? Eat More or Eat Less? Rather, I shall just continue with my current diet and and let the weight burn off and let the weight-lifting do the muscl-ing job (don't really mind if it grows slower).

Eat More or Eat Less? Guess it's still Eat Less. Has it all become part of image (or confidence) building? Well, Eating Less makes sure I don't eat unnecessarily too! Now, that's the cardinal rule for being healthy anyways, isn't it?

No comments: